A woman was raped by my apartment yesterday.
In broad daylight.
The police can't say which house she lived in, in order to maintain confidentiality of residence of the victim, but it was at one of them bordering my apartment.
--------------------------------------------------------------
From www.myfoxmilwaukee.com:
WITI-TV, MILWAUKEE -- Milwaukee Police say a woman was getting her newspaper off her front porch, when she was forced into her home and raped. It happened around 12:30 Thursday afternoon near Oakland and North.
The suspect is described as a black male, 6-feet tall, with a large build. He was wearing a hoodie, white sneakers with red laces, and a mask. If you have any information call Milwaukee Police.
Police say victim was injured. She was taken to Aurora Sinai's Sexual Assault Treatment Center. The center encourages victims of sex crimes to come forward. The center's number is (414) 219-5555.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still waiting for the landlord to come knocking on Megan's and my door to tell us that everything will be okay, and that they caught the guy. Oh, and that there is another Oakland and North intersection somewhere in Milwaukee, and the crime happened there...yeah...not here.
I should have known. Yesterday, 12:30. Honestly, that could have been me. I remember. My study group at campus had finished at noon, and I was crabby and hungry and wanted to come back to the apartment for lunch. Instead, I waited around to study with Jacob until 1 PM. At 1, I left and rode the bus down here, to my quiet apartment. No ambulances, no police officers, no 6-foot tall black guys...it was all very placid.
Had I left the campus at noon, I'd have been on the sidewalks HERE at about 12:15. Too close for comfort. Somone or thing must have been watching over me. I'm getting goosebumps.
I was wondering all day today what was going on; the news stations have been parked at the entrance to my apartment. When I left today to ride the bus up to campus for my VW design meeting, WISN 12 (Milwaukee's local ABC station), had a cameraman and reporter standing on the sidewalk. The cameraman actually filmed me walking down the sidewalk, coming towards him, and then passing him, to get to the bus stop.
When I watched the news at 6, sure enough, I saw myself on television. It was weird.
Then, this afternoon when I finally came back, FOX news was parked down and around the corner, with their big white utility van and antenna/receptor on the roof of it, running and spinning.
Again, weird.
And now, I am scared. So scared, that I don't even feel like going across the hall to the laundry room, to wash all my clothes for Florida. And I am even thinking about asking Megan if I can get up two hours earlier every day to travel up to campus in pairs. She has to work for 8 AM, so I guess I'd just use those two hours for studying. And I'll pack a lunch. Every day. No more running back and forth out on the streets and on the bus, from campus to the apartment, between my morning classes and evening classes. Last week there were a rash of armed robberies. This week, a raping. So the more I'm out on the streets, the more I put myself at risk. I'll have to suck it up and stay at campus all day, even when I have five-hour breaks, and not be ready to travel outdoors until nighttime, when I am done-done with business up at campus.
I wish I had someone right now to hug me and tell me they'd travel with me everywhere now, that I don't have to worry. That it'll all be okay.
I want my puppy!
For more information and updates, visit: www.themilwaukeechannel.com,
or www.myfoxmilwaukee.com, or www.jsonline.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment