Friday, March 02, 2007

SWEET!!

So, just last night I've been talking to my parents about how I'd kinda like a magazine subscription again.

However, I really wanted a car one. Motortrend, Car and Driver...something that could keep me plugged into the automotive industry.

Yet I still wanted one that ALSO kept me on the cutting edge of the automotive engineering industry, so I could keep up-to-date on the technical news from the field. You know, the news that would make it on my personalized CNN channel, if such a thing existed.


Well, there is a certain magazine out there that is my absolute favorite. It also fits the description I have just laid out before you. Called Automotive Engineering International, it is a magazine for student and professional members of the Society of Automotive Engineers. After you pay the $75 annual membership fee, you get this magazine for 'free' as a bonus.

Last year, I had every intent to get my hands on something car-project-y, and signed up to be a member of SAE at UWM. I paid my $75, the magazines started rolling in, and life was good.

Every issue is awesome! I read the whole magazine cover to cover, even the cool ads for CAD software, Delphi, ethanol gas, or new editions of SolidWorks. I just soak it all up, and really feel educated after reading a magazine with so much substance. The articles are written by head honchos from the car companies, or companies that contract with the car companies, like Siemens, Delphi, or Blaupunkt. They have articles on the auto shows, new concept cars, and lots and lots of results from rigorous experiments they've completed on various cars that are already out there on the road. You'd be surprised to read about some of the cars that are flagged as hot. For instance, the Mazda 6 5-door was rated as one of the Top 5 unsafe cars of 2006. Hoa yeah, that magazine taught me that. :)


Anyway, last year came and went, I did jack-squat with my SAE membership, and let the membership expire.

As did said free subscrpition to this kick-ass magazine.


Sad!




Well, today I did some Jack Bauer maneuvers, and decided to Google the name of the magazine. Bingo. Up popped the website for it and I started checking it out.

On the left-hand side of the page is a link for you to subscribe. I clicked on it, and the next page showed me how there are three ways you can subscribe to AEI.

One was to be a formally paid member of SAE, where you'd get the mag for free. The second is to be a nonmember, FREE subscription. The final was to be a nonmember, PAID subscription.

WTF, why would you be a paid nonmember, when right in front of you is the option to be a free one?

Clicky clicky clicky...(oooh, that just brought back memories of Jared randomly IMing people to use his Google-search tool on his blog)...I figured out how to get my free subscription to my favorite magazine!!!!!

Apparently I had to use my expired 10-digit membership code on one of my old magazine's mailing address label (which I saved, BTW), enter my last name, my mother's maiden name, and BOOM, I was in-like-Flynn!

The first issue should land on my doorstep back in Green Bay in 4-6 weeks. Hellyah!!!


(P.S. I checked out how much it would be to enroll with a PAID nonmember subscription: $130 for 12 issues a year. Scheisse!!!)


EEEEEEEEE, I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS MAGAZINE, I AM TELLING YOU!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: