Friday, March 02, 2007

Four Robberies in UWM Area

I got this rather unnerving e-mail this afternoon....I travel these parts every day...this is MY neck of the woods, my engineering buildings! West side of campus...where everybody knows my name, but we're getting robbed. I am pretty spooked.

'Specially since I was out on my sidewalks last night at the same time this first robbery occurred...Christ, I could have seen the robbers walk right past me, without even knowing it.


Scary. :( :(

I hope these bastards are caught. I like having a safe school and a good reputation for UWM.


E-mail begins here:

As a public service, University Relations is forwarding this Milwaukee
Journal Sentinel story regarding recent robberies in the area.

We encourage faculty/staff/students to be vigilant.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FRIDAY, March 2, 2007, 10:45 a.m.

By Tom Held
Four robberies in UWM area

A team of robbers working the streets around Riverside High School and
the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee claimed five victims in 45 minutes
last night, police reported this morning.

According to Milwaukee police:

In all of the hold-ups, one of the suspects displayed a dark handgun and
another rummaged through the victims' pockets and belongings.

Four victims, including a man and woman walking together, told police a
third suspect acted as a look-out. The fifth victim did not report
seeing a look out.

The first victim, a young woman, was robbed in the 2800 block of N.
Bartlett St. about 7:45 p.m.

The suspects moved east to the 2300 block of E. Newberry St. and robbed
man and woman walking together.

Roughly five minutes later, they robbed a man back in the area of
Riverside High School. About 8:25 p.m. they targeted a man at a bus stop
at E. Newberry and N. Oakland Ave.

The victims were robbed of cash, cell phones and personal electronics.

Police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said victims should call the police
as soon a possible after such robberies to help police prevent
additional crimes and find the criminals.

----------------------------------------------------------
From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Web site:
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=3/2/2007&id=19970

No comments: