Wednesday, November 01, 2006

This has "Trusko!" Written all over it

Alright, so for the academic year of 2006-2007, I was elected as a Society of Women Engineers board member/officer for the UW-Milwaukee Chapter. Last year's goverment for this student organization kind of crumbled, and our membership plummeted. Alas, it was put on my shoulders, as a new officer in a whole new line-up of government (new prez, new secretary, new vice prez, etc.), to command member recruitment and fundraising.

I pull as a total workhorse for this organization, because I was Sonja's prodigy child and saw what passion she had for this org, even though last year's co-governors shat all over her. Anyway, I wanted to mirror that passion, and have since set out by establishing an on-going cell phone recycling fundraiser that is campus-wide, self-maintained, and running until the first of December. :)

I have also made it a goal to execute one SWE social event per month, versus Sonja's one-a-semester, just to make sure I get SWE's name out there and circulating in the engineering student body more. After all, the more active we are, the more susceptible we are to recruiting new members.

And it's working! I got us 12 new members this year!! Yay! (Sonja is proud, by the way.)

Anyway, it is now November. I met my one-event-a-month goal in September (Welcome Back Dinner at the Oakland Trattoria) and in October (Bowling Night at the UWM Union). And now, with huge kudos to Harley-Davidson, I have just coordinated the motherload of all social events for the month of November:



An outing with HARLEY-DAVIDSON!!!!

I am so stoked. Tuesday, November 7th, is going to be a hella fun day. Our SWE chapter here had a meeting on October 19th and I got a sign-up of who is all going, and a whopping 12 members are attending! I RSPVed to Harley on behalf of all of UWM, and Harely-Davidson is so so excited that we have such a large and motivated chapter (ha ha). They are pleased to see so many women come from UWM!

It is strictly a women's-only night, which is cool, since I am a gear-head with cars, not motorcycles...so this is my perfect chance to get all up-and-up with my fellow machine-dudes, without them breathing down my neck and buzzing me with questions.

I am actually really impressed by Harley-Davidson. I mean, I remember when Scott was modestly applying and interviewing for his internship with them, and he would talk about it as if it was a fat chance in Hell that he'd get the job. But whoa, once he got it (I knew he would!), they sure put him up in a great place and took great care of him, from what I make a picture of in my head.

But now, the Milwaukee end of H-D is impressing me, too. When I first RSVPed to the company, I inquired about possible shuttle services, since I had a lot of younger members with no private vehicle to get out to Oak Creek where the dealership is (and the MCTS busses don't get you out that far, unless you use the Park and Ride).

Anyway, one of the Harley employees replied to me and said that while Harley didn't have any shuttle services, the EMPLOYEES THEMSELVES would take it upon their own time and personal vehicles to come alllll the way in to UWM to pick us up! All I had to do was name the time and place, and they will be there for us, to drive us out to Oak Creek, give us a free supper, let us play with all their shweet toys, and then drive us back to UWM at the end of the night.

Gah, this sounds even more fun than playing at a friend's house when I was five, and I thought it'd be so cool for that friend's parents to give me a ride home in their Ford Aerostar van!! (See: Nicole Breitung. Yup, she and I were actually close friends, to the point that I fell in love with her mom's freakin' MINI VAN. Please don't be mad at me, Amber!)

Anyway, I'll be sure to post any possible pictures from the evening, once it comes and goes!

Today, another one of the employees sent out an e-mail with a survey attached to it, asking us to fill it out. Here she is, print-screen and MS-Paint
-ed for your convenience, so you can hopefully see what I wrote down. I hope it explains more of my motives and undying love for motorcycles!

The aforementioned survey results:



P.S.: Scott, give me any insight to this if possible! Any burning questions you want me to ask, or anything you think I would like and should be sure to check out? I know you have talked Harleys with me lotsa times, but I just need one time for you to sit down with me and some pictures of all the different models, and have you describe them to me, so I can learn the line-up as if it was Volkswagen. ;)

No comments: