Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Shining the Bent

Yesterday I shined my bent to prepare it for Friday's initiation!! Very cool.

Alright, lemme backtrack...

In mid-October I was invited to join Tau Beta Pi, a premiere engineering honor society that is the only one recognized nation-wide. I was one of 17 hand-picked students from UWM's engineering program that was invited to join this organization.

I accepted the invitation in a heartbeat, and am ready for my formal banquet and ceremony this Friday evening at Marquette University, downtown. My family is coming down to watch me be initiated, it should be very fancy, but fun.

This past weekend, I had to attend an induction leadership camp (also at Marquette University). It was this mandatory day conference thing for all new Tau Bates to attend, so UWM and Marquette decided to co-host the camp. It was easy, you just had to sit there in a classroom, watch a Power Point on people skills, and then act out or practice your skills you just "learned," using flashcards. By the end of Saturday, I had my own official printed certificate confirming that I successfully obtained people skills. *Insert sarcasm here* Oooooh, say it isn't so! :)

BONUS: Marquette has a lot of cute engineerng boys! Let's just say I was watching this kid named Scott...his last name started with a K, I didn't catch it...but he impressed me with how he carried himself, how he dressed, and how he took care of himself/body. Call me a school girl, but I look forward to seeing him, even if only from afar, at Friday night's initiation.

Now if only I could find a way to non-obviously walk up to him and strike up a conversation...shucks.



Ahhh, but to continue, the second phase of our initiation was to sand and polish our "bents" or the icon for the Tau Beta Pi organization. I went to the machine shop yesterday with a couple of my guy friends that are fellow-inductees, and we used some dremels and buffers to make those suckers shiny enough to see your reflection in them. Here's my little fella:


Say it with me: "Ooooh, shiny!"

I get to parade across a stage or something, carrying this bent, on Friday night. Knowing my ever-so-classy-country-girl self, I'll probably trip on my black salsa skirt I am planning on wearing, and somehow shoving the heel to my shoe through one of my earrings. Ha ha. :)

No comments: