Tuesday, November 14, 2006

"Every little thing she does is magic..."

I gave my big, much-anticipated honors presentation today!!

I am relieved it is over with, even though I can guarantee I talked faster than an auctioneer...but that's because I had so much content to fly through and teach the class within 1 hour and 15 minutes!

The course is all about genes of behavior, and for 50% of your grade, each student has to present on some sort of genetic disorder, mishap, or phenomenon, and explain why and how the genes are responsible for this.

Today was my turn to go, and I chose to present on the genetics behind anxiety and depression disorders. It was something very personally interesting to me, so it all came easy.

I really did not want a depressing presentation about depression though, so I made it like a kid day! I brought in toys to act out the types of anxieties that are out there, and I made a crossword puzzle revolving around anxiety and depression, so that my colleagues could complete it as they listened to me present the answers to them; and at the end of it all, I had candy to give out! Whoo hoo.

I'm guessing I did alright, because I got a round of applause after I finished, and the professor came up to me afterwards and told me I did "just fine," and that "it was all really interesting." Although, it's hard to sell him on this stuff, since he is a biologist himself, so he probably knew all about the facts and diagnoses I was lecturing about.

But hey! I'll bet he never equated neurotransmitters, serotonin, norepinephrine, and GABA to a game of baseball, eh?? ;) That's right, I pulled it off...so now I've just got to write the term paper to go with the presentation, and hold my breath for the A I dream to come at the end of the semester.



P.S. and totally non-related: Nikki Mefford got Facebook!!! YES! I am always so interested to read what other people have to say for themselves in their profiles, so this will be a neat way to keep tabs on her and read about her opinions, sobeit in a listed version. Plus, I can always poke her, write on her wall, or send her some tacky message to let her know I was thinking of her. It is so neat how things work themselves out...even if you want to fight it off or stick your head in the sand like an ostrich, believing you'll win in the end...it's your instinct that wins! And with Nikki, I firmly believe she came to me when I needed her to impact me the most. It was never during high school, when we never ever talked; no, no, it was this past summer, when I was looking for someone to reach down to me. And she did.


And I will never ever ever forget that.

No comments: