I had to take a test on D2L today (those of you in the UW-system are familiar with this website), for my study abroad 497 course in Germany.
It was this "General Orientation" where I had to scroll through and read 46 pages of Adobe Acrobat-format Student Handbook for Study Abroad. Following that, I had to take a 42-question quiz. The kicker was, I had to pass the quiz with a minimum 95%, within three attempts.
My first attempt through, I got an 88%! What the heck?
That was a bit of a tease, since I am always one to be thorough, and you know I sat down today and used two hours I didn't think I had, to read all 46 of those pages (and that includes the appendices). I pored over that quiz, since there was no time limit; but I must admit, there were some very technical and brain-busting questions they asked you! All of this legal stuff that you had to keep straight, with how UWM functions inside of itself.
Where do you go to submit forms seeking credit for your course?
Where do you go to submit forms seeking credit for a non-UWM sponsored course?
What's the difference between 'study abroad' and 'exchange student'?
Who is the first that you contact if you are to lose your passport while studying abroad?
What are you refunded if you withdraw from the program after submitting not the FERPA, or the Power of Attorney form, but the Healthcare Provider form?
Who funds the OPP?
Sheesh.
The perplexing part of it all, was once you reached question 29, the questions were freakishly easy! Come on, it was a joke:
If you are a woman studying abroad, which of the following actions should you execute if you are catcalled, pinched, or invited to go do something you don't want to do?
-Firmly say 'no'
-Travel in groups
-Dress conservatively
-All of the above
All of the following are acceptable actions while studying abroad EXCEPT
-dressing in placid, non-catchy clothing
-speaking with the locals to try to learn the language
-wearing athletic shorts, a baseball cap, and carrying a boombox playing Motley Crue on your shoulder while screaming how America is only the best
-sitting quietly somewhere, journaling or taking in the culture you are studying in
Psshhht.
I did not want to have to redo this; 88% clearly shows you are acquainted with the material, including most of the tedious things you'll never have to know again.
But I had to, since I had to get above a 95%.
To get around this, I got clever and print-screened the whole thing, since after my first attempt, it showed me all the questions, and my answers, right and wrong. I just scrolled in chunks, print-screened, pasted the image into MS Word, then scrolled some more, print-screened, pasted into MS Word below the first print-screen, and wham, caught all 42 questions and answers.
When I went in for attempt 2, I just zipped right through and juggled the correct answers. I ended up only getting one incorrect on my second attempt, which granted me a passable 97%. Yay! Call me resourceful, not a cheater. (Since I did print-screen my own effort and thinking from the first round.)
All done. :)
1 comment:
oh that is so clever, muhaha... I so would have done that myself seeing as how in the beginning of the semester, Professor Lacy, drilled that into our skulls about Print Screening. I love that task of print-screening!! - amber
Post a Comment