Sunday, August 16, 2009

CMH Airport

CMH: this is the airport code for Port Columbus International Airport. It's the airport I do all of my flying in & out of, here in Ohio.

Whichever security guard that gets to sit back and watch all of the airport's video surveillance, has got to think this 5'6" brunette is a total whackjob. Seriously - just consider all of the emotions I've displayed at that airport!

They've seen me walk - no, jolt - through that airport on my way OUT of town to see Zach and family. I'm smiling so easily and so often, it looks like I slept with a clothing hanger in my mouth.

Fastforward that footage to two days later when I return, and my head is hung low, where I am quietly walking by myself to the shuttle bus to take me out to my car, patiently waiting in the long-term parking lot.

There are also footage shots of me walking with the 6' blond Zach - both with me holding his hand after picking him up from an incoming flight, and again wiping tears from my face as I see him off for (yet another) week apart.

Mixed bag of emotions, anyone???

I'm just writing about this now since it's on my mind. I got back from dropping Zach off tonight to head back to Wisconsin, and I thought about how well I know this aiport. Where to park, which set of escalators to take, which gates to wait at. And on nights like tonight, I give him one last hug good bye, watch him pass through security, and let my eyes follow him down the airport hangar for as long as I can see him, on the other side of the wire fencing.

Then I turn around and walk back my way, to the car. I'm single again, for a few more weeks.

I've become used to this life. We can take care of ourselves, the Beetle and I. And there are some pluses to living alone, really. You can eat whenever you want, and whatever you want. (I just had some leftover Sour Patch Kids candy for supper - and nothing else, mmmm!) You can watch whatever TV shows you want, too.

It's just that, that isn't much of a perk when Zach and I watch the same TV shows as it is.....

Bah humbug.

Someday, that surveillance footage will change so that I am always traveling WITH Zach, and not TO him. Alas, graduating from 'whackjob' status. :-)

Thanks, CMH, for letting me be one of your more interesting characters to pass through your doors!

No comments: