It all started a few days ago when I was on the phone with my parents, telling them about the VW letter of recommendation I previously posted about.
And, they surprised me so much when they simply replied, "That's great!!! You can use that for future job applications, or for trying to get into grad school!"
My mouth kind of hung open a little bit when they suggested that; I had NO idea they were even hoping of that for me! I remember mentioning the idea of me going to grad school about a year and a half ago, and they sort of panicked about how they were not financially planning to handle that for me, with my bro being an undergrad at the same time I'd be starting grad school. It just would not be an option for me.
But now...?
Well, the financial burden may still be the case, but that just means I'll have to be the one to pay everything. I'll finally get the chance to pay my own way in life. Which is alright; scary, but alright. I need to learn how to budget and stand on my own two feet sooner than later!!
Anyway, now that I know my parents have warmed up to the idea of me going to grad school, it's been the topic of my mind at night when I'm laying in my bed trying to fall asleep. Or when I fall deep in thought in the middle of a class. Or when I am getting ready in the morning. Today I even checked out Michigan Tech's ME-EM grad school website, admissions, and graduate program catalogs, because I love that school. I looked into UWP, too, but they had diddly-squat for grad programs.
Had I asked myself this last year, about being ready for an additional two years of school so I could sign an MS behind my name, I would have squarely punched myself in the face...erm well, the reflection of myself while looking in a mirror. I was so sick and burned out from school.
But now, I am on top of the world and almost feel like I wouldn't be doing my best, if I just stopped at a Bachelor's Degree.
I just don't know...what do you think?
I am not sure if I even have a specific enough of a reason to use while interviewing for grad school (something specific to research, something in my family, for my career, etc.), short of saying, 'because I will feel good about myself if I do it.'
And I just don't believe that right now, that is a solid enough of an answer that will motivate me to get through two gruelling years of a master's thesis. I need to look into this more, or talk to Jennie, my academic advisor here, to find out what major benefits this will get me for the rest of my career and life.
So yeah...what do you think? Do any of you readers have anything in mind that I should consider, that would require grad school?
No comments:
Post a Comment