I'm working on my homework for Thermodynamics right now, and I just figured out that there is one, and only one, temperature at which if it is expressed in Farenheit, is numerically the same if it were expressed in Celsius.
Totally cool.
Check it out:
Formula: TF = (9/5)*TC + 32
TF = (9/5)*TC + 32; let TF = TC
TC = (9/5)*TC + 32
(-4/5)*TC = 32
TC = 32 * (-5/4)
TC = -40 ˚C
TF = (9/5)*TC + 32
TF = (9/5) *(-40) + 32
TF = -40 ˚F
I was easily amused by that. Two entirely different scales that I've had to convert between, my whole life! And now, a point where they are the same number. It's just that the temperatures feel different. -40 ˚C is pretty much like absolute zero, while -40 ˚F is just enough to freeze your gonads off.
P.S. It will probably be cold enough to do that this weekend, due to WI wind chills. :)
Back to my Thermo homework!
No comments:
Post a Comment