Well, tomorrow is The Day of Verdict.
I've been spending the past two weeks running up, down, and around campus, to take care of various things. Examples:
-Running at Klotsche Center with Niki and Eric; plus lifting with Jacob and Eric
-Study groups for IE467, EE301, Dynamics
-Starting up a new student org, based on my experience in Germany. Org is called Alternative Power
-Volkswagen design project kickoff
-Germany Design Project wrap-up, thesis, and lecture preparation
-SWE fundraiser kickoff
-SWE/Triangle fraternity ally summits
-Engineering Week plans
-IV weekly meetings
-Weekend trips to Green Bay, then Houghton, and now Chicago
-Studying and preparing for my Schneider National interview
Factor in classes and homework, and yes, I am fighting off falling asleep in class, even as I vigorously write notes and look right at the instructor from the front row.
Ahhh, but the biggest project that is about to burst, comes tomorrow at 9:45 AM:
The tour of GE Healthcare's manufacturing facilities in Waukesha, sponsored by SWE!!! Yay!
You see, I am a pretty passionate/avid member of SWE here. As one of the board officers for the past year, I have put a lot of time and detail into recruiting and getting our name out there in the engineering school. And it is working!!
I invited the entire College of Engineering and Applied Science on this tour. I had Jennie Klumpp, our stellar advisor here, send a mass e-mail out for me, advertising my event, and that all students should e-mail RSVP to me.
Within one hour of releasing the mass-advertisement, my inbox was packed!! It was so neat; I've been on top of my e-mail replying since then, representing SWE as professionally as I can.
I've got 30 students to go!! This is an excellent turnout!! We were expecting a quaint little group, like eight to ten people. Cha-ching! My contact at GE thanked me for my coordination, tacking on the comment that "You have good PR on this!"
:)
I sent out reminder e-mails. Agendas. A meeting point. I even called around to various shuttle services around the city, getting quotes on a cheap shuttle bus to drive all my kids from UWM to GE Healthcare. I ended up getting the ol' trusty yellow school bus from Rite Way...$125.40, baby! That is CHEAP, compared to some of the $500 quotes I was getting.
SO, tomorrow we will tour GE Healthcare!! I told everyone to meet me at 9:45 AM in the EMS building: 1st floor lobby, by the elevators. I even typed in their confirmation e-mails to "Look for me (Ashley) in the yellow SWE polo tee shirt!" So now they have an icon to look for. Someone to gather them all up. Someone to do a headcount.
I'm like a mommy. :)
Ahhh, but I'm a nervous mommy! My work is done, I've got it all framed and bulletproof for these students to have an educational day...now I just hope that they all do their work. Show up on time, have the bus show up on time, and have no one screw up my numbers and RSVP list that I had to project to my GE representatives.
By this time tomorrow I will have exhaled! :) I don't mean for this entire post to come out so braggish, but I am proud of actually stepping up and being confrontational with this many people, who have their own thoughts and logic to deal with!
Wish me luck on my biggest public overhaul, to-date!
No comments:
Post a Comment