
^^Click me for a bigger view, I'm an impressive photo!!
That thar picture is of Kassel, Germany. I was standing at a lookout point at Hercules' castle. Hercules is this old old old (built in the 1200s?) stone castle at the top of a hill that overlooks and protects the valley where Kassel is nestled. At the top of the castle is a stone-carved statue, of the Hercules Hero. (Is he Roman or is he Greek? Damnit, my brother just corrected me on this this past weekend, too!) Anyway, it is all breathtaking.
I think about it every day. Going back to Germany. Every moment I have free time to think. Every five minutes. Germany. Oo la la!
That country really understands me, as silly as it sounds!! The lifestyle there, the landscape, the architecture, the cleanliness...it really matches my personality step for step, it is impeccable.
Every time I see a Volkswagen on the streets here, I smile extra wide. Everytime I come back to my apartment and see the "Guten Abend, Gute Nacht" doilie pillow that my sweet host parents gave me...I just miss the closeness and friendship I had with that trip. Especially since lately, I am evaluating who my true friends are.
And I am finding them in Germany!! The employees of Volkswagen. The citizens of Wolfsburg and Kassel. (Arne, Julia-Gulia...I miss you guys!!) I want to devote my career to Volkswagen, I believe in that company so much, and I admire its cutting edge marketing. Every little thing that company does is slick and well-thought out. I would have the easiest time rolling out of bed in the morning, to get to work, knowing what good cause I was working towards! :)
I have one step up on it, too: EXCITING NEWS!!
Professor Balmer has arranged for a design project from VOLKSWAGEN AG for us UWM Engineering students to work on. Only a handful of students are going to be able to be on the panel/team to work for Volkswagen, and I AM ONE OF THEM!! Yeaaah!!!
Here's what happened: Balmer spoke with his contacts at Volkswagen. Volkswagen found three separate projects that needed to be done, but handed them off to Balmer to use as college intern projects. We got to pick one of the three. So, I am now doing research and work for Volkswagen. Very thorough research, actually. This is stuff for my senior design, stuff that VW normally has its Ph.D candidates working on!!
I GET TO BUILD A CAR FOR VOLKSWAGEN.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the remaining 1.5 years of my college undergrad career, to work with my team to research, design, draft, model, finance, analyze, render, and rapid-prototype a final design of a full-scale vehicle. We have to put together all the technical documentation, test our model, its manufacturing processes, structures, mechanics, ergonomics, strengths of materials, and write up a manual about it. Basically teach ourselves the Theory of the Design Process, from scratch.
THEN, we make a big lecture about it, come up with a thesis, and PRESENT IT TO VOLKSWAGEN, where they could very likely turn it into one of their actual cars after a little professional tweaking.
I am flabbergasted. This is a huge undertaking, but IT HAS 'ASHLEY!!' WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!!! I'm not even an official employee (yet) and I've already got my hands on something invaluable at this company!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
The opportunities in my life just keep on comin' in!!! I am humbled and blessed, I cannot believe how quickly my dedication and good-girl go-getter approach have been paying off. (And you guys think I go to a poverty-stricken, gross inner-city school?!)
This will all probably get started this fall. YES!!!!
On the road of life there are drivers and there are passengers. Drivers Wanted.
And, I LOVE VOLKSWAGEN!!!!!!
MORE DETAILS TO COME, FROM HERE ON OUT!!!!!!! :) :) :)
2 comments:
holy crap sticks!!!! - amber well we know who you will support when amber can't find a teaching job! hehehe
hehe i signed my name and then put more, wow sorry about that.. wierd moment
Post a Comment