Sunday, September 20, 2009

Last 'Bach' Weekend

Next weekend I will spend back in GREEN BAY for my birthday - yay! - which means THIS weekend was my last bachelorette weekend in Ohio.

On Wednesday, September 30th, Zach drives down with his pickup truck and a U-Haul trailer to move in!!

I spent my last weekend preparing the apartment for him. We figured he would move in to the 1 bedroom I already have, so he and I can save money. Ideally, we want to upgrade to a 2 bedroom apartment, but we'll do that once this 1 bedroom lease expires....that way we're not paying two apartment rents, from now until Christmas!

I started out by squishing down all of my clothing in the closet, to exactly half. The other half is just waiting for him to come on in!

He's also got his own shoe rack, when you walk into the closet and turn right. His is the light-wood colored rack on the right in this photo. Mine is already a little, um, full...

I also gutted out my computer workstation area, which is the nook where the office chair is in the above photo, so he has room to put his enormous XPS computer system, the FTP server he manages, and the modem + router for our whole apartment.

Lastly, I took a few of my wall hangings down, so he has some places to make the space feel like his, too!

I rearranged our laundry hall, the utility closet, and on move-in night, we'll sit down and rearrange the kitchen so I can go grocery shopping for two. :-)

It's been cool, kind of like moving in all over again. I've made a few trips to Home Depot (I love Home Depot!!), Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart, and Kohls, to get a few miscellaneous items. I insist on taking care of myself and being self-sufficient, self-directed, so it's no surprise you could have found me sprawled out on my living room floor on a Sunday, assembling my OWN new shelving, while watching some hard-hitting NFL football in the background. Hee hee.

I just want to have the apartment as open and accommodating to Zach as possible, for his first walk in the door. :-)



P.S.: You know you live in a small town when it still has a RITE AID. I've been driving past this old little store for 9 months now, but finally stopped to take a picture:


I think I'm secretly falling in love with this sleepy little town.


It's comfy. It's country. It's a little bit redneck. But it's also very isolated and in its own little 'bubble' from the rest of the world.

There's not much for minorities, juvenile delinquent punks, or crime. Everyone here is pretty conservative, educated, and polite. I have seen a few folks in this apartment complex that leave all their doors unlocked and their car windows down. And we still have neighborhood block parties! The residents are real people - as in, they're not plastic. They know how to take care of themselves.

It kinda sounds like the last frontier of America! I love it.

1 comment:

Colin M said...

Sounds like an exciting time Ashley!