Wednesday, September 02, 2009

For the VW self-helper: you must check this out!

My guilty-pleasure website: 1stVWparts.com

"At 1st VW Parts we promise 100% Genuine Factory Volkswagen Parts and Volkswagen Accessories at less than dealer wholesale prices!
We put you 1st in Price - Service - Selection - On Time Delivery - Customer Satisfaction

We don't just match Internet prices, we beat them!
Call us if you find a lower factory VW price."

The website is awfully basic; dare I say, homely. But, they get the job done and even have hyperlinks to CAD drawings of some of the parts, embedded into their online catalog. If you know what you're looking for, but are guessing at the name of it, you can simply click on your guess in the catalog to pull up an OEM picture of what it looks like, to make sure you're indeed buying the right part. It could keep you from the mistake of buying an inner wheelhouse cowl, which snaps to the car body in each of your wheel wells, when originally all you really wanted was a new cowl top (which is the plastic exterior tray just under your hood where your windshield wipers rest)!

I've come to them before with my business and I was entirely pleased - I'm slowly building my Beetle back up to brand-new-status. I even got smart ass VW stickers out of the deal to hang in my garage! (I've always cooed over VW's marketing department and anything they come up with. So clever!)

Anyway, I'm now on the prowl for a tow eye cover, to clip onto the red hook that peeks out beneath my car's rear bumper. I think somewhere along the years of haulin' it up to Mich Tech to visit Scott with the boys for Winter Carnival, my original tow eye cover got torn off in the snow storms and driving through snow banks. Plus the very last time I tried driving up there, I DID have to get towed. The tow-truck dude may have pulled the cover off and tossed it in the ditch, roadside somewhere. :-(

Either way, I am finicky about keeping my car in admirable, purebred condition, and this is one part that is actually MISSING to my car. It may be only for cosmetic purposes, but damnit for $10.06 I think I can order that part and stifle my Beetle-OCD that throbs my mind every time I look at that rear bumper!

I like working on my car. I learn so much from it in the lines of mechanics, and I also feel good about keeping her fine-tuned like a humming bird.

Upcoming projects:
1) Learn how to change out my A/C compressor, and thus, recharge the A/C system
2) Change my transmission oil
3) Change the tensioner to the serpentine belt
4) Save up and install new tires (ideally just after the first itty bitty snowfall)

I'm ready. I've got two VW Beetle auto repair manuals, a growing toolbox, and a garage stall to play around in.

Now I just need a continuous block of free time to sit down, study up on a few things, and take my time wrenching on the car so I don't screw anything more up.

Oh, and a car lift would be nice, too. :-) :-) :-) We're talking an auto-shop quality, $4500 beast that you anchor into freshly-poured garage floor concrete to use forever and ever. :-) :-) (All I have to use right now is my spare tire car jack.)

A car chick can dream, right?? :-)

No comments: