I did a lot of it when I was growing up - from middle school all through high school, I babysat for three or four different families. At that time, it felt like a chore, I'm not going to lie. Kids had so much energy!
But, I tried to make it fun. We'd build forts in the living room, eat freezie pops, sing along to Shania Twain while making Mac 'N Cheese for lunch, and I'd make scavenger hunts for them!
Now that I'm out in Ohio, my work buddy Alicia (who, so far, is actually my closest friend out here), has a three-month old baby. She works full time, her husband works part time, and they've often gotten into a pinch with needing someone to stay home with their baby daughter, just so they can get out and make ends meet.
I can't blame 'em!
Alicia started coming to me for help, and I've said yes 100% of the time. It's gotta be hard to be a young parent, and a first-time parent.
Now, I have again developed into a family babysitter. I'm spending this here Saturday night babysitting baby Roslyn (shown below!), so Alicia and her husband can go out on a date and just have a night for the two of them.

It was my offering to come over and get them out of the house, actually. They have opposing work schedules, a new baby, and in a week and a half, Alicia travels to Japan to stay for a month at our headquartered-factory. (Thank you, Honda!) It's important for the husband-wife relationship to stay healthy, under all of this stress!
So, Roslyn will be my cute little date for this Saturday night. While she's not quite old enough to build forts with me and watch Disney Princess movies, we can still cuddle in Alicia's recliner while I read my latest book, October Sky. (It was made into a movie - do you remember?)
No comments:
Post a Comment