(Before I get started on this blog post, I MUST declare that the title to this post is also probably one of the best songs to come out of the 90s. Filter, who released this song, is a kick-ass band.
Now, before you continue reading this, go buy the song from iTunes.
That is all.
Thank you.)
I received an e-mail today from the UWM Women's Resource Center, asking for support because our lovely student legislation, named the Student Association, was looking to adjust their budget, by making some cuts.
One of their cuts?
Eliminating 3 full time staff positions at the WRC.
So, I wrote a very professional, persuasive, educated letter to the "student leaders," exhibiting my strong opposition to this movement.
Last year, when I was having all of my pitfalls and was two days away from dropping out of college, I turned to the WRC. In a city so full of people, I felt so alone.
The WRC helped me out, and started the long, gruelling process of getting me to turn my life around.
So, I am a bit disgusted that this center is facing a possible shrinkage, preventing other students from getting help. I would never wish my struggles on anyone else, especially with no way out, and knowing you'll have to live with your diagnosis for the rest of your life.
I am proud of that railing letter I wrote, and I hope it is the one that saves the day. :) I worked on it as soon as I got the e-mail, and sat with it for several hours before I sent it to the WRC to use. They wanted permission to quote excerpts of my letter, and I granted them full permission.
The committee meets next week to decide the fate of the WRC, so I already put in my request to hear how it all turns out.
I've also offered to go down there and speak on behalf of the WRC myself, but, I hope my letter pulls for me.
Gooooooo Team Ashley! Yeah!!!
*Insert dorky snort here*
1 comment:
That's awsome!! I congradulate you!!! Ash, you certainly have turn your life from last year around... I am telling you... I am so happy for you!!! That's great that you are standing up for what you believe in as well, I know it means a lot to you, I just still feel bad that I couldn't of helped you out more last semester. Hehe.. I totally forgot to ask permission of you, but I hope it's alright that I used your eye pictures in my website. They aren't officially on the web yet, but when they are, I will be sure to let you know where to check them out!!
here's lookin' atchya!
Love always,
Amber
Post a Comment