Pshaw, I'm just prickling your nerves. The apartment is in a pretty safe area of town, something outrageous like that is very unlikely to occur. Unlike Riverwest, or once you cross the river... ... ...
...it's weird how you can just pick up on where *not* to go in this city. Just a fine line, this big drop off, where things start to deteriorate immediately, or the hairs start to stand up on the back of your neck. The layout itself of the city has quite a personality, it is so touchy. But then again, Milwaukee is the #1 most segregated city in the country.
Anyway, I've got some pictures to share with you! I've had these for awhile now, and really think they are quite something; they're worthy of showing to you all!
Now, I really am not a church-going folk. Sure thing, I believe in God or a Divine Being, but I don't like the idea of going to church weekly, being yelled at with how to believe in something that I wish was more scientifically-based (gotta play into my mathematical engineering mind, here!), and then leaving to go about my own business for a whole week, probably doing some little thing that turns out to be sinful.
But at the beginning of the summer, my brother pointed this natural landmark out to me. We were driving along Velp Avenue, where Howard meets Suamico at Lineville Road. Yes, at the roundabout. I believe I was driving at the time, and as we were approaching the roundabout he whipped his hand up into the air and pointed out my window saying, "There! Look at that!! I see it every time I go past here, doesn't it look like Jesus on the cross???"
I peered out my window and saw what indeed looked like a vine of leaves that was growing up the side of a power-line tower, in the shape of Jesus on a cross! It was unbelievable, I certainly looked twice.
And for the rest of the summer, I drove up and down, north and south, past that roundabout with that interesting landmark each day on my way to work, and on my way home from work. And just like my brother, I pointed it out to any new person that was ever in my car with me while we passed it. I don't think many other people ever noticed it, because any one of the buddies of mine that I showed it to had not noticed it before I pointed it out to them, either. They were all pretty mesmerized, and/or creeped out, by it, too.
But hey! Take a look for yourself...




I took these pictures once when I went along with my mom to the Kwik Trip gas station on the "tangent" to the roundabout once (since I don't find it totally right to call it on the corner of something circular...meh, I digress). As odd as I felt for walking on the sidewalks in Howard-Suamico (because while I'm used to walking everywhere in college, H-S people have a tendency to all stop and stare at ANYONE that offers to WALK instead of hop into their Beamer, SUV, or Pontiac instead), I hiked it out there and took these pictures. I had to, I really wanted to capture this marking, it is so intriguing.
I'm not sure if you'd be able to go back there and see it anymore for yourself, since it is autumn and the leaves have fallen off of this guy, but it is on the western side of Velp Avenue, when you are northbound on Velp, about to head into the roundabout where it meets Lineville.
Enjoy, if you are able to still see it yet. Now I just wonder if it will grow back like this next spring?
1 comment:
Yeah, pretty much all that's left of that is the bare outline of the vines, you can't even tell it's there anymore really! Sad! - Amber
Post a Comment