Monday, October 23, 2006

Pleasant Surprise

I suppose I'm just going to jump right into this, because it is getting late, I am getting shleepy, but I'm also getting so damn excited about the new possibilities with this new endeavor I've recently taken up....

The last time I was home, I spent some much-needed one-on-one private time with my love, my BEETLE! :) I took her out on the town on Saturday, to the Bay Park Square Mall to buy some winter clothes for myself.

While she was holding it down in the parking lot, I held it down at Old Navy and found a thing or two.

Anyway, when I returned to the car in the parking lot, I unlocked it, placed my bags on the floor of the passenger side as usual, with my purse on the floor in the backseat; I closed my door, got all buckled in, and was just about to turn the key in the ignition when I looked straight out through my windshield, only to notice this siren-pink piece of paper folded up and sandwiched between the said windsheild, and windshield wiper.

After the process of removing the keys from the ignition, unbuckling, holding my breath for the cold blast of air as I opened the car door, and lurched to the windshield to remove the little note, I opened it up.

Much to my glee, jumping up and down in one spot, smiling gasps, and great spouts of squeaky "AWWWWW, EEEEEEEEEEEE, Turbo, look at this!!!!" in the parking lot (I am sure the average passer-by would have been fa-REAKED at me standing there clutching a wimpy piece of paper to my chest, talking to my vehicle), I found this:


(Click image to see an enlarged version.)

AN INVITATION TO JOIN FELLOW OBSESSORS OF NEW BEETLES!!!

You can imagine how humbled I felt with the great timing of being invited this way. I mean, what are the chances that I'd choose to go home to Green Bay that weekend, go shopping on that day, and even park in that section of the B.Park Square parking lot?!?!? (Seriously, it was the one and only time I had parked there, instead of parking by the usual Kohl's.) Not only that, but what are the chances that the fellow club member chose to go shopping at that same time of day on that day, and even had this slip of paper to invite me with?!?!?

Geez, it is so neat to see how things work themselves out sometimes!

Anyway, you can bet your routine bowl movement that I went home right from there, told my family about it, and hopped on my laptop to respond to that e-mail address as soon as possible. I was beyond heartbroken to have to turn them down for the fall cruise, since I had already planned to spend the weekend in Platteville visiting my high school friend, Sarah. I mean really, anyone who knows me pretty well and knows how I feel about big cities, knows that this cruise was my #1 favorite combo: 1) MY CAR, and 2) DRIVING my car through the NORTH WOODS.

Gaaaahhhh, I LOVE the country and rolling hills and Mother Nature...in fact, the drive up to Michigan Tech is one of my favorite drives, ever! I have dreamed in my sleep about making that trip again, I love it so much. Anyway, this cruise was partially heading up in that direction!!



BUT, we must continue with the Beetle story. Here we go again:

To my repeated glee and gasps of joy, the person behind that e-mail responded!!

It read...

Hi Ashley,

WELCOME!
Thank you for responding and indicating your interest in being a member of our Northeast Wisconsin New Beetle Club. We would love to have you join us. We currently have 14 emailed registered members, from ages19 to 71. We all have two things in common, and that is we all love our New Beetles, and we all enjoy having fun with them.

Here is some more information about the club. In August, my wife and I decided that we would work on starting a NB club in the Green Bay area. There are many around the country, but none here. We are both recently retired teachers, and bought a 2002 NB back last November. What really peaked our interest in getting this club going was our trip to Roswell, New Mexico with our NB to attend the annual Volkswagen New Beetle Weekend. Wow! What a time! Caravans of NB's came from all around the country to Roswell. We traveled in the Central Caravan, which was made up of 10 NB's. We are planning on going again next June, and two members of our new club have already indicated they are also going. Some of the NB's there were extremely expensive customs and the paint jobs were unbelievable.

Anyhow, so much for how the club was started. We had our first meeting/get together in September. (**I have attached minutes of that meeting for you) I have also put your email address in our group address book. In addition, I have sent you an invitation to join our Google Group Discussion Board, so that you may take part in our discussion about future events and other information. At this point, the discussion board has not been utilized a great deal yet, but hopefully it will be in the near future. We also plan on having our own website at some point.

It's unfortunate that you won't be able to join us on our cruise this coming Saturday. However, so that you might see what we will be doing, I sent you a copy of some cruise information/news that I sent out to all the members.

One other thing............If you would like to meet with my wife and I over a coke or a cup of coffee at a local restaurant, we would be happy to do that. This way we could show you pictures of the Roswell event, talk about our club, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know when is a good time for you. We are quite flexible. We have met with some others at Perkins Restaurant on Oneida Street in the past. If not, that's O.K. also.
We will keep you informed!

Thanks again!

Roger and Carol Glaeser..............and Whoopi (That's our NB!)
2002 Reflex Silver, 2.0L


So it turns out that this club is legit, and the FOUNDER of it was the one who invited me!!! I responded back to him, and it turns out that I am going to meet him and his wife the next time I am in town, I just need to tell them when I am coming into town!

Of course I will be safe about it, since this is along the lines of meeting some online-buddy; but the fact that these two are a married couple, retired, and spent their career in teaching, leads me to believe that they are pretty docile with other humans. :) (I have seen pictures of them at that Google discussion board, too, so I know this all isn't a mask for some fat Mexican guy in a wife beater and chimichanga boxer shorts with a cellulite-ridden belly button poking out between them, sitting behind a keyboard with maggots popping out between the keys or anything.)

Anyway, that New Beetle Weekend in Roswell sounds like my trip to Mecca!!!!

So I have GOT to ask, WHO WANTS TO GO WITH ME?!?!?!?!

Please? Please? Pretty please? Wouldn't you think it'd be one of the coolest things to go to???

C'mon fellow car buffs!! I am hopeful of picturing Scott wanting to go, just because he has always been my Car Buddy, he likes road trips, and it'd be a shitload of custom jobs!!! Plus he surprises me often with showing how much I don't know he knows about me. I'd dream of taking my Grandpa with me, because he is the ultimate Car Smarts Man, and he gets the hugest smiles on his faces telling me about how he used to work for Volkswagen in the 1960s...but I think a road trip to NM in my little egg-shaped car is too much for him. :(

Anyway, it's crazy, it's a far stretch, it's so entirely spontaneous and flying-off-the-cuff, that if I wanted to be crazy and surprise people, I might as well study abroad in Germany or something!

Er, wait a minute.....


*Wink, wink*

No comments: