Can I just throw this idea out there, that I kind of like Unix as an operating system??
I am working with it entirely this semester in my Computer Science 201 course, where I learn C programming. It's a very interesting course, and so far nothing that I can't handle. It's very intricate, this computer programming; but it is so damn neat to sit back and watch it work after you successfully compile the program!!
I am stoked; when I edit this page to add more posts, and click around on the "Templates" tab of my editing page, I can actually understand a bit of the programming code Blogger has written right in here. It is neat!
We use Miller to host our directories, and Pico or Emacs to actually write our programs and text files. I have always just used Pico. I've heard Emacs is pretty cool because it does color combo stuff, but I've also heard it's a pain in the ass with a few navigating traits.
Anyway, Unix is not bad; that little clock guy pops up every time you log in, like a friendly face that wants to say hi. *Insert baby hello wave, here* And you've always got your two windows to work with: root and xterm. Fun, fun.
Plus you look pretty farking smart to any passers-by, working at your computer there with a more intellectual, tailored OS that the general Joe Shmoe has no clue how to manipulate.
P.S.: PuTTY is my favorite, too!!! Remote access is a thrill to do. Call me a nerd, but I love "seeing" a computer lab monitor right here on my laptop, in the comfort and safety of my own apartment.
Did I say fun, fun yet?
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment