In my 2 1/2 weeks here I've chuckled at a few historic stories of workers accidentally knicking bumpers or corners of vehicles while they'd be driving one from one end of the yard to another. They would crumble with anxiety of the error they just made, only to try to rub it off and have the entire mark seriously rub all off!! (We have packing tape stuck to all the outlier corners and faces of the vehicles to prevent scraping of this sort.)
Don't get me wrong, it isn't entirely unusual to see wrecked cars in our yard at work. There's this subsidiary of Nissan that intentionally crashes cars right after they roll off the line. The company is WWL. Surprisingly, nobody to this date has been able to tell me what WWL stands for - they all just say it's some crazy German word that's something like 37 letters long.
WWL actually buys random vehicles from Nissan, as soon as they roll off the assembly line. They then go and crash, smash, and bust the vehicles up. The purpose of this test is to see how much stamina the cars would endure in the real world; how much does this car take before it shuts down completely? How far do you really have to go to destroy this thing? Would the teeniest little fender bender make the entire front fascia fall off? WWL sets out to find this, and reports to Nissan how to make their cars more robust and less likely to sustain damage in an accident or collision. It's an interesting job, but with a very narrow purpose.
Due to their antics, I've seen Altimas with their rear ends so smashed in, it looks like they literally FELL off of the back of one of those double-decker semi-truck car carrier trailers. I've seen Armadas with their entire front fascia torn off like a losing wrestler's bottom jaw. Brand new vehicles, still with the plastic wrap tucked around the seats inside of them. Navigation systems that weren't ever even turned on and used to find the nearest Arbys...nothing! WWL are certainly the super smash brothers of Nissan.
Beautiful, beautiful vehicles. Smooth glossy paint; I could just stare at it for hours, observing how the sun reflects off of it. I could lose my fingers in a trance, by running them along the vehicle's gentle, uniform curves.
Why would you want to hurt that?! Come on now!
2 comments:
Just for future reference, you know, in the event I ever cross "Momma" and don't immediately catch the error to apolgize before the inevitable. What does it feel like, exactly, when one's pancreas quivers? I would prefer to avoid the experience. Dad
OOPs I am old and replied my very first time to a blog...and screwed it up. My previous comment was supposed to be attached after the "Momma" Blog. I'll have Steve respond on my behalf from this point, after I chip the note out long hand on a stone tablet. Dad
Post a Comment