Monday, June 23, 2008

Southern Belle? Or Northwoods Gal?

I have got to admit that I have now completely fallen head over heels for 10 Year's latest CD, Division. It was the best $9.76 I've spent at Wal-Mart in a long time.

I've got the CD playing in the Beetle, on my iPod when I go jogging, and last night I even popped the buds into my ears to give a few songs a listen while I was brushing my teeth and getting ready to go nigh-nigh. I actually started crying when one of the songs started playing, just because it grabbed me so much. I am still smitten by their current release to FM airwaves - "Beautiful." My fellow rockers up north can find it streaming on Razor 94.7 :)

Let's not tell Puddle of Mudd any of this, though! I still stand by that band being my all-time favorite, and I will never forget the last time I saw POM play......I got to meet the lead singer of the band, Wes Scantlin. !!!!!!

He was a little guy - I could probably take him down in a cagematch - but I will always remember that whole concert very clearly, from the opening song, to waiting in line for some bathroom, to actually meeting the guy after the whole concert was said and done.

And now, I get to see BOTH bands being talked about here, NEXT WEEKEND!!!!! I'll be bearing down the Mississippi gulf coast to go see 10 Years, Puddle, Saving Abel, and numerous others for a 4th of July treat. Yay!! This will totally make up for not seeing Puddle at the Leach Amphitheater in Oshkosh on July 19th. :)




Anyway, off to the purpose of this post. I think I passed my first initiation to becoming a true-blue southern belle today at work.

I was working with Bryan and I made a comment about how the computer was moving "slower than molasses in January" and he totally flipped out, remarking how proud he was that I just used a southern slang and I was finally becoming 'southern.'

?????

Sorry, my family lineage has been using that phrase up in the nort' woods of 'sconsin for as long as I can remember....? I take pride in it! To top that all off, I am sure a few of you readers here can vouch for the bizarre lingo that we Ullmers specialize in.

Think on it, how many times have you had to sit back and cock your head to replay something in your head that you actually just heard me say out loud with a straight face??? Yeah, that's right. :)

Bryan went on to explain that the southern folk like to "colorize things," or use off-the-cuff remarks to describe something in a funky or gut-splitting manner. I have got to say that has me written alllll over it.

Apparently by Bryan's standards my family would fit right in down here, what with Grandpa calling out "Good CHRIST look at that a B-52 bomber!" after seeing a particularly large bird fly through his backyard, or me explaining to Amber that the new 100% electric Tesla roadster "will wax the hair right off of a Ferrari's backside."

:) Say it with flair but say it with honesty, that's how I have always lived.

Between that little English lesson today at work, being stopped at a gas station by two separate women who wanted to coo-coo over the cute Beetle and her Wisconsin plates, and some resident at the apartments here that over the weekend told me, "You should move down here so we have more cute girls in this town," I think I'm ready for my corset and hoop-skirt gown to match my blushing face! Geez.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha... i have laughed at a lot of the stuff you say -that's for sure! - amber