Friday, June 13, 2008

Closer to Week #2

I have just finished my second week of work!

Admittedly, it went slower than last week - last week was SO much fun and I got to play with cars all day every day. :) This week, I switched groups and worked with the engineers that handle warranty claims on vehicles, where they basically just sit and type up reports about how to fix warranty claims. It was somewhat intricate, but 100% of the work was done behind a desk. Not a big fan, after being spoiled from last week and getting the hands-on opportunities.

However, it seems that for the rest of the month of June, I'll be in this warranty gig. It will be OK, they gave me a small project that I seem to be getting done as soon as they assign it, so I'm days ahead of everyone. Plus everytime I bring it to my current supervisor's table, she melts like butter on hot blacktop with how coordinated it looks. (That'll be the extent of me tooting my own horn here!) Today she sent me away with a 100% OK, no changes needed, while she had my coworker (see above post about this guy) spend the ENTIRE rest of the day revising and overhauling his work. As I was leaving for the weekend, he was just sitting down in a meeting with her to show her all of the improvements he made for the day. Yikes.

I still went to see my supervisor from last week and expressed how much I appreciated working with him and his group though. In fact, I've been doing some heavy thinking about rearranging my intern schedule just to work with his group in "Lab II" all summer, rather than ever doing all of these department switch-ups. Honestly, what I was shown last week and what I was picking up on, is exactly what I was aiming to get out of this internship. Getting direct contact with cars, learning how they work, and hopefully getting to the point that if you were to pop the hood on any vehicle, I could just burst like the Ol' Faithful geyser with information and how to fix it. I want to be a handy-man! Er, handy-woman. I feel knowing cars is one of those lifelong thrifty tools to have and to keep sharpened, since technology with automobiles is forever evolving.

Anyway, this supervisor I had a chit-chat with warmed up to my idea, but found himself saying out loud the very thing I have been biting my lip about: if I cut out of these other two engineering departments (one for July, one for August), I'll never know if I like those as well. Hmmm.

So, he came up with a pretty stellar idea right then and there. Instead of spending an entire month in each of the departments, he said to spend a half-month (aka, 2 weeks) in each department, so they'd only suck up a total of one month in my entire summer. This would leave me with one whole month to go back to my favored department. I like this plan, and I'm anxious to see how things will develop next week, as this supervisor promised me he'd talk to a few people to pull some strings.

Yay! This means I would get to go back and hang out with James and get my hands all dirty at work with digging through cars! What a rush, I love this industry and never want to go back. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome!!! think of the range of opportunity! - amber