Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Kite Runner

I finished reading a book that Grandma Judy lent to me for my trip! It was on Sunday evening, when I got to the last page of The Kite Runner.

It was a very interesting book, following the life of a now fully-grown man that grew up in wealthy Afghanistan prior to the overthrow of its king and the reign of the Taliban.

His best childhood friend was actually his family servant's "son" (at least you are led to believe that for about 3/4th of the book, until you find out who the kid's actual, biological father is), and the book does a great job demonstrating the struggles and overheads between social classes in the middle east.

I think reading it while I was in a foreign country myself, was entirely suitable, because the man in this story ends up emigrating to America, and the plot includes his adjustments to a new country.

Badda-bing, badda-boom, I found myself relating to this character's apprehensions, joys, and attention to all the little details you handle with taking up a new life.

I think the book gave me my new current favorite quote; thank you for lending it to me, Grandma!

The quote was towards the end of the story, when a man was giving the author some advice about moving from country to country. I have the quote memorized:

"I was raised in the U.S., Amir. If America taught me anything, it's that quitting is right up there with pissing in the Girl Scouts' lemonade jar."


Ha ha ha ha....it is spunky and off-kelter, just like how I like to keep my personal dialogues. And so true! You must never quit...otherwise you're just like the cruel moron who upset the sweet and innocent little Girl Scouts.

I like the American pride behind the quote, too. Americans never quit, hell yeah!

No comments: