We started German class this week.
Well, we did have one introductory course of it, last week Monday, but it was only for a half hour or so, and that was just to learn how to say "My name is" in German, and go around the room to say it, so we could all learn our classmates' names.
This week, we have it from 8:15 AM to noon, every day.
And it is not so bad! The time goes by pretty fast, and the logistics of the class remind me so much of Spanish classes with Tanck or Petersen @ Bay Port, that it makes me stop and swallow the lump in my throat that rises when I think about how much I miss the Spanish language!!
So far, we've learned how to say numbers in German, how to start a conversation, how to say what you do, where you live, where you come from, and what foods you like to eat, and when you eat them (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack). We've learned a few courtesy phrases, too, like "Have a nice day!" or "I don't speak German," or "How much does this cost?"
It has not been too bad learning it so far, but I keep on wanting to speak Spanish, because I know it so well and can think so swiftly in my head in Spanish sentences. Plus, the last I knew of taking a foreign language course, it was Espanol!!
I even goofed in class once; the teacher called on me to ask me a question, and I answered it. She did not hear me, but repeated what she thought I said, and then asked, "Is this correct?"
Instead of saying "Ja" (German for "yes"), I flashed back to my high school days of being the prim and proper Spanish school girl, and firmly nodded my head and sweetly said, "Si!"
The class tore up with laughter.
As did I. :) But ahh, I do really miss Spanish. I think that is the one thing I've learned the most from taking German now: how much I want to get back into Spanish once engineering backs off a little bit. I am becoming more and more serious about taking some courses at a community college somewhere after I am done here at the university, no matter where I might end up with a full time job.
Ich liebe Deutsch, pero le amo Espanol mas!!
(PSSSSST...Amber! Check my grammar there on my Spanish!! Did I use the indefinite article correctly???)
Hee hee hee.
1 comment:
Yo solo hablo la lengua de ingles a mi vacacion amiga. lo siento. amber
Post a Comment