Sunday, July 19, 2009

Delaware State Park

I realized that I have not done nearly as extensive of a job profiling the Ohio culture here on my blog like I have for my other travels: Germany and Mississippi. For those travels, I wrote about every little thing, it seemed. Random strangers, cool restaurants, a neat corner of town, funny billboards, language barriers, families I was adopted into, etc.

I made a vow to myself to start doing that for Ohio. After all, it's a whole new place!

I am backtracking and taking pictures of some of the places I've checked out, the places I frequent, the places that are favorites among the locals, and just neat things that I stop and stare at for just an extra second longer.

I'm working on accumulating photos - after all, this requires several weekends dedicated to drive time and making my rounds - so I thank you for your patience!

Some background information? I've had this thing where every Saturday I hop into my car and find something new. One weekend it was a shopping mall, another weekend it was a new park to go jogging in, another weekend it was another shopping mall, the weekend after that, driving through wealthy housing districts, and a weekend after that, taking myself to a movie at a bustling theater.......just some examples. I purposely get myself 'lost', or at least throw myself out onto the highway, to learn my way around.

This weekend, I checked out downtown Columbus for the first time! It was AWESOME, and I definitely did not get a chance to take it all in - I need a few more trips and chances to double-back on a few attractions. (I'm actually glad for this, because I'd like to experience a lot of this with Zach, but with him not being here, it's one real tough waiting game!! So, I am saving my next trip back to Columbus, to do on a weekend he visits.)

Last weekend, I drove out to Delaware State Park! It is located here:


I just went and checked it out on a sunny Sunday, the last day of my VACATION (yeeaaah, summer shutdown)!! I grabbed the book I've been reading, a few magazines, and took the Beetle out for a sun tan. Take a look:

Our weather for the day, outside my apartment.


Waking up the car to pull her out for a day of adventure!


Putting one of my new toys into use: a water mug that matches my car! Gotta stay hydrated in the sun, hee hee.


The drive out to the park. Nothing too alarming. :-) Just a nice stroll through COUNTRY folk!


'Knee high by the 4th of July'.......YUM!


Entering the park.....finally some extensive woodlands!


We are here! I tried to park her in the shade, while I hiked down to a beach to get some sun. (Notice I am still PROUDLY rockin' the Wisconsin plates!)


I got all set up and good to go! SAND, yay!! This was the view to my right.


And to the left: serenity! Well, kinda..........it was just a no-swim zone, so boats and jet-skis were hauling through there instead.


Okay, so I'm not exactly a photographer. But I tried the panoramic function on my camera to show you the beach frontage.....kinda cool, huh? This was all taken from the spot of sand where I plunked my happy hinder down for a couple hours!


Zach and I have this thing where we leave each other little notes to let one another know we're thinking of the other. Here's one he stuck in my camera case after a weekend of us visiting. It reads "I love you Dutches!! Make some memories. Zach" (His nickname for me is 'Dutches', just to fill in a couple blanks there.) Anyway, I took a look at this note - I saved it - when I pulled out my camera to take all these pictures.


My setup for the day: my book, the latest issue of Automotive Engineering, and the latest issue of Motortrend. Booyah!!

The day was nice - I spent about three hours at the beach, and got pretty pink on my shoulders and arms. :-) It was a very peaceful way to spend my last day of vacation, since I don't get another break until Christmas!

More adventures to come later........thanks for your interest!

No comments: