Monday, October 20, 2008

Have your cake...and eat it, too?

Yeah, I really believe this cannot be done: having your cake and eating it, too.

I had a nice weekend back in Green Bay but every time I go back home it becomes more and more magnified to me that my life is going to split. Allow me to explain.

My first love has been cars. Always has been, always will be. My dream career would be spent in a big ol' cement car factory, drooling at the brand new cars, inhaling as much "new car smell" as I could, and staring blankly into the smooth, milky hi-gloss body paint on the car doors.

However, there is no car factory within Brown County, which is my second love.

This means for me to have my cars, I'd have to move to a land far, far away....the closest being one that is a 9-hour drive away, actually.

Is it all really worth it when it comes down to that, though? To move away and literally start my whole life over? Say good bye to all of my history, family, friends....see them only on major holidays when I come crawling back home? Sure, I'd have the dream job, but what would I have to say for myself when I clock out of work at 4:30 PM? What kind of enriching life would there be for me on the nights and weekends?

When I take all of that into consideration, the 'dream' status on the catchphrase dream job falls down several significant notches.

Pair that against staying in the north woods of 'Sconnie, taking a job that is still close to my heart (but not clenching it as cars do), but having the plush life outside of work that I've been aching for, for so long.

What the heck do you choose?! Having the cake, which is the dream job, the status, the frequent flights on the corporate jet to speak with suppliers. Or eating your cake, which is focusing on its flavor and nutrition, such as family and being more of a contributor to the local community. (And yes I'll say cake has nutrition!! Yum!)

If I had it my way, I'd lasso the Volkswagen factory they're building in Tennessee, rope it up here to Green Bay, build myself a nice little cabin in the woods around there, and live happily ever after as a spunky Packers fan.

But let's cut it down to brass tacks here, Jack. That's not going to happen.

Although, I had the life I want, this whole weekend, while visiting home. And I loved it, I'm still hungry for another taste of it. I know right down to my bones, that's what I want. In fact, even being back here in Milwaukee today for school & work, I find myself in a funk. Can't concentrate, can't be real sociable. Can't snap out of it!

Except I do have to go to class now, my first class of this week...hopefully that will bring me back down to earth and the simple realization that I, at the very minimum, have to barrel ahead and finish school. :)

1 comment:

Scott said...

So, you're going to stick around GB then?