Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Doldrums

Tonight was one of my more interesting nights in awhile - I went to visit my roommate from last year. (I live with Heidi now - yaaay!)

Megan, my roommate of two years, had to split with me since I only have a half-year left in Milwaukee and she has a full year. Our landlords apparently didn't take leases for a half year, so I had to rearrange myself a little bit.

Alas, Megan and I had lost touch through the summer, but there was one last route of business we had to clear (reclaiming our security deposit from the two years we shared together). Last week, we met up for the first time since the move-out, to get that puppy signed. And it just felt good, real good. I visited her at her place of work while I was punched in to my own place of work - we have the same job, just for our respective colleges. I figured to stop by her while out on an errand for my own job.

We sat and talked for 20 minutes, easily, without exhaling. It was nice - we both missed each other and felt like we should have kept in closer touch. So, fast forward a week to this afternoon where Megan contacted me to see if I was free this evening. I was, and I went over to our apartment, where she still lives, just with a new roommate. We passed the time watching "Bizarre Foods" on the Discovery Channel - one of Megan's favorite shows.

It was really weird - but felt so good - to go back there. To my home of two years. It felt like time stood still - rather...... like time had rewinded and I was still a junior in college. The same old concrete steps to walk up to the apartment building, the same creak in the door when you fling it open, and the same yellowish-glow from the lights in the building's hallways, walking toward our dear old apartment 205.

The apartment looked the exact same way it had when we lived there together too. The floor rugs, the television, Megan's desk, the whole kitchen - it all had not been moved. The new roommate allegedly just holes up in her room (aka my old bedroom - which I did not venture to see) and does not contribute anything toward the rest of the apartment.

I didn't mind not seeing my room. I'd rather have it this way: seeing the front-facing part of the apartment unchanged, it makes me feel like I could imagine walking down the hallway to my closed bedroom door and open it to see my things, my bed, my big L-shaped corner desk, all still there too. I think having seen this girl's things, this newly-acclaimed room, would have ruined the experience for me.

As you can gather from this post I'm a huge sucker for nostalgia. :) In a world running rampant with entropy, it's nice to see some things never change - you can count on them.


A two-year old photo: Megan, her cat Penelope, and myself at our apartment. 2006 - 2008.

No comments: