Saturday, August 09, 2008

Workathon!!

My third-to-last-week of work has come to a rapid close. I even worked 10 hours of overtime in the past two days to stretch it out!! And they were the most fun hours of work I had all week!! :)

Last night I worked until 10 PM, helping the yard sweepers with re-checking a particular bolt on the engine block of the Altimas. We had to check 4,000...and in 6 hours, blew through well over 3,000 of them. :) It was a LOT of fun, I got to get my hands on measuring tools and do the work myself instead of always observing. I have volunteered for overtime whenever Nissan is looking for it, because I realize it is during overtime when I learn the most. All the regulars aren't around, we aren't tied to a shift clock, so I can slow down and ask as many questions as I want or do and redo anything as many times as I want, to increase my skill level with it.

Today I learned how to go and order supplies from our Nissan supply store, as well as being taken along on a few trips to poke around a few of the forgotten/rarely traveled property and yards in the WAY WAY back side of the Nissan property. We must have driven for 20 minutes on our electric go-go carts just to get to these spots. Plus yesterday Bryan taught me how to tighten a wheel back onto a vehicle using an impact wrench, it was awesome!

If you're a good reader that really pays attention, you're probably wondering why I commented about working today even though it's Saturday. ;) Well, Altimas are in so high demand that every other week for four week blocks scattered throughout the year, Nissan works 6 days a week and us engineers rotate who goes on the support shift - I volunteered to come in and work today, as did a lot of my other buddies. We all have a riot together, it does not feel like work at all!

Tonight we're all going to meet up to hang out for Austin's 24th birthday. It should be a nice time, we're going to meet right on the Reservoir, a huge lake here that is a natural habitat for alligators!

No comments: