Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy

Tonight was my last night alone, my LAST NIGHT of the summer of solitude. Joe flies in tomorrow night to spend my last week of work with me, so I stretched out and enjoyed my last night of 'freedom.' :)

I spent it making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (oooooh, my favorite!) and I was going to lay out on the living room couch to reflect a little bit on the great summer I've just had, but I've been working so much I ended up passing out and spending my last night alone with the insides of my eyelids.

My last two weeks are THRASHING past me and I'm working overtime left and right purely to make this last longer. Monday was a very very big day - all last week I was ramping up a presentation to give to Nissan's Senior Vice President, who visited this Monday.

Every time he visits the plant, each department sends forth a presentation to show him how the department is performing. Well, my department manager came to me and asked my project to be the presentation to speak for our department. :)

So, Bryan and I presented to the Senior VP on Monday and looked like total rockstars!!! He was very impressed and actually recommended we speak with our Mexico-plant to work with them on a system that is already up and running, identical to what our presentation was trying to launch. (Obviously this will occur post-Ashley departure.)

I think doing this presentation was crucial for me to do as part of my internship - just to go through the wringer with the pressure, learning how to polish words, and represent an entire department - is a great learning experience. This guy is so high up, he's Number Two in all of Nissan North America. Today I learned that he doesn't even work for Nissan. He is contracted through an overhead company, just to keep his information and rights secured from public access. Ah yes, the iron gates of Executives Land. To be faced with this, and introduced with this, was a good taste of the automotive world. I got to experience firsthand how everything ultimately plugs together. Ultimately, how an automotive company is structured.

Regardless of your reader tastes, it's all very fascinating to me, how a big company is organized. I like knowing the background information of these companies you read about in the magazines. I like knowing how things work.

Nissan has certainly been great. :)

No comments: