Monday, July 28, 2008

Tease on the Dialects

It was quite honestly a very hilarious day at work today.

But, before I get into that, I just want to point out the barbeque situation I have been living in. Compare my week-long forecast to YOURS up in Green Bay:

MS forecast courtesty of WAPT.com
(Also would like to point out it was 9:54 PM when I print-screened this forecast and it was still 88 degrees outside.)


WI forecast courtesy of WBAY.com


Anyway, now that I'm back down in Lab II by the good ol' boys, we've had a lot of comparative talk between life up north and life down south. Last week we talked about the cold weather and how all of them are wussies. Today we talked about different word usage for the same objects.

It all started with James, the infamous alligator wrestler that is my #1 most-asked-about character here on my blog. He got up from his cubicle today and slipped one of these into his pants pocket:

What do you call these?? 'Sandwich crackers' is what my family back home has always called them....

One of the other fellows heard the saran wrap crinkle in James's pocket and hungrily piped up and said, "You just stick some Nabs in yo' pocket James??"

My boss Erik, who is a fellow Yankee like me (he's from Ohio), popped up and answered, "Hey! Alright! I've heard that word be used down here so many times and now I'm finally gonna step up and ask what the heck that is."

Ironically I was just taught this about a week ago. 'Nabs' is short-term here for these sandwich crackers made by Nabisco. Even though there are many off-brand crackers, like the Lance ones pictured above, everyone just equates them to being made by the champ, Nabs.

I explained this to Erik and the gang (there were a few locals who didn't even know the explanation themselves). This ensued the debate about different terminology like soda vs. pop, dinner vs. supper....and then Erik's game-ending play:

He asked, "What do you call the clothes you put on before you crawl into bed at night to go to sleep?"

You'd think pajamas, right? Me too.

Except James piped up for the whole room to declare, "Oh I sure call that my birthday suit because I ain't never wear clothes to bed!!"

I could not tell you for the life of me who, in that whole room, laughed the hardest. Geez James!! That is just something he would do. :)


There was a side conversation today that I found just as cute. You see, a lot of these guys are mechanics; they are used to turning wrenches and doing primarily manual labor for their entire living. Now that they're at Nissan and required to manage a cubicle, they also have to hold down some computer work. A lot of them are trying to pilot their way around Microsoft Excel 2003, and I've had to step in a few times to teach them.

Alan, the guy I'm working with, was so proud to tell me that last week he learned how to use a pivot table.

Mike's answer to that was, "What the heck is that?? It sounds like some new-fangled lazy Susan thing in your kitchen that you can eat off of!"

:) These guys may be twice my age but they make me laugh as if I were hanging out with a bunch of kids!

P.S. If you have any weird 'Yooper' lingo that you'd like me to try to introduce to the gang, let me know. Everyone down here is absolutely fascinated with what life is like north of the Mason-Dixon line.

No comments: