I suppose I should post an update on here about how my actual days at work are going, since this blog was created in part to help journal my internship experience at Nissan.
Well, the past few days have been slow, as I've essentially completed my first project and I've been waiting for my supervisors to schedule a meeting with me to review everything. The next step is to either approve it or request I make some revisions, which I will welcome. This review meeting is tomorrow. :)
While sitting in limbo, I've spent my time walking the assembly lines and learning more about how cars fit so intricately together. Last week I went to Barnes & Noble to buy a basic car repair manual composed by Popular Mechanics. I've been reading that on my own time, and so far I'm on page 25 of some total goodness.
I've learned that you know you're a car buff when you take the time to personify the car you drive, by naming it. I've got Turbo, Zach has Candy, Bryan drives Rhonda the Honda, and Momma drives a little Kia Sportage named Stella. (The story behind Momma's car is that Momma's cousin bought the Kia, then had to sell it back to the dealership for a cheaper car. Momma ended up buying the very same Kia, thus allowing the Kia to "get its groove back".....yes, this is an allusion to the 90s movie, How Stella Got Her Groove Back.)
What's your car's name?
P.S. The southern folk like nicknames for things other than just cars....Momma calls her flat screen computer monitor 'Tina' since she's so tiny, and my new nickname has become 'Little One.' Seems I've shifted from 'Wisconsin Girl' to a name that's representative of my physical stature AND minion status. :)
It's okay....it's true and it just sticks. Bryan blurted it out once by referring to me as 'the little one' and ever since then the others have started addressing me in the same manner.
"Hey there Little One!"
"Whatchya workin on, Little One?"
"Don't forget to bring the Little One to lunch!"
:) Everyone is very simple down here, just real plain but genuine. You can trust a lot of people, and the rule of thumb is to 'treat everyone as if they were your neighbor.' I am fascinated by the southern mannerisms, it's all so charming. I revel in it.
1 comment:
I'm McLovin' at work. They even gave me a McLovin' e-mail address.
Post a Comment