Sunday, April 22, 2007

MSF: BasicRider Course

You are reading the post of one of the newest licensed motorcycle riders in the state of Wisconsin!! I just gotta go to the DMV to take the computer-based temps test and get my license all printed out. YAY!



That's right, I took my Basic Rider Course at NWTC this weekend and I passed it with flying colors!! 100% on the written test, and only 5 out of 21 points off on the skills road test, baby.

I just definitely, definitely feel like I need more practice on da bikes. I was talking to a friend and he said it is impressive that I didn't know how to drive a manual transmission car before hopping on a bike this weekend. So I guess I was double-whammy-ing it with teaching myself manual tranny, and simultaneously learning how to ride a motorcycle, which is a whole new ball game versus driving a car.

Anyway, I was easily the smallest and most inexperienced rider out of my class this weekend. Standing at 5'5" and 120 pounds, there is a reason that I tipped my bike over a couple times. I am stellar at keeping the bike in motion and keeping a precise manueverability...it's just that when I come to a stop on even the slightest incline or when I come to a sudden stop, and I put my feet on the ground without pulling the clutch in just a milisecond sooner, the 300 pound bike dips into my leg......and down I go since 300 pounds can push a 30-pound leg any day. It doesn't hurt, though. I'm rugged and I'm perseverant. :)

I am anxious to get my first bike now, because I am thirsty to hone my riding skills. I honestly would like the junkiest, most-scratched up old bike you can find for me in the classifieds of the Green Bay Press Gazette, because I would feel horrible, horrible, horrible for being the one to put the first scratch into such a fine piece of automotive business. So we'll see what the future brings!

Got anything for $500? Ha ha.


Bring on the open road!!

And good luck to Mom and Steve, who are taking this identical course next weekend with the same goals in mind!

No comments: