Thursday, September 13, 2007

Pretty pretty Germany Pictures

As promised to Bri, one of Joe's younger twin sisters, here are some pictures from his and my trip to Deutschland. :) P.S. Bri, there are WAY more than what I took the time to post here, so I will show you them the next time I see ya at your mom's house in Janesville!


Cool little chocolates packaged by Swiss Air and distributed to passengers on each Swiss flight. I fiddled around with the focus of this shot for the longest time...acquiring stares of other passengers wondering why I was worshipping a sample of chocolate...alas, this was the best I could manage.


Green green GREEN Zurich, Switzerland 30 seconds after aircraft take-off.


Switzerland countryside...so docile, no wonder why this country declared neutrality during WW2!


Yet again more gorgeous Swiss lands...errr...ha ha! Just me catching Joe taking a cat nap on our hopper flight from Switzerland to Germany. :) BUSTED!


Welcome to Hannover, Germany!


The view from Joe's and my 3rd floor hotel window. We stayed at a Tryp hotel, pretty comfortable. The white smokestacks along the horizon of this picture stem from one of the HUGEST painting factories Known To Man: where VW paints all of their Golfs and Rabbits!


Joe trying out the comfy bedspread....or just boycotting my trigger-happy camera. Stubborn Burritto!!


The next morning, all gussied up for our 4-hour presentation and nervous as hell. You can see it in our tight smiles. We presented to Dr. Henry-Paul Bensler and his three bosses...each of which are #2 in line to be CEO or CFO of the company if the current guys get goosed.


Ooooooh, I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!!! This is my current desktop background. VW factory you see RIGHT after you get off the train at the Wolfsburg station and turn your head to the left. Call me a nerd, but this factory epitomizes what I have chosen to do with the rest of my life: quality lean manufacturing!


The World-famous Autostadt (means Car City) foyer with The Big Globe, as it is affectionately termed, hanging from the ceiling.



The view you get when you (1) walk underneath The Big Globe, (2) look straight up, and (3) remove flash from camera and snap a big ol' picture.

The story behind the globe is that an artist created it with two red streaming lines and one blue box. The streaming lines are strategically placed to mock the equator and Prime Meridian of our own earth, with its natural cocked-axis and everything. Information such as global news or stock updates for Volkswagen, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda, Audi, or Bugatti shares stream on these red tickers (Volkswagen owns them all). The blue box displays the current time and instantaneous outdoor temperature of the city of Wolfsburg. It is supposed to be bolted to The Big Globe at the exact longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates (to scale) of the actual city of Wolfsburg. In reality, Wolfsburg is above the equator...yet on this Big Globe, it is bolted at a location directly negative of this latitude...meaning, below the equator. WTF??

The trick? In order to properly view this piece of art, you must look down to the ground, which is glass, to see the reflection of the globe, which transposes the blue box to the seemingly "right side up" position. Therefore, the reflection is the correct representation of Wolfsburg with respect to the rest of the world. Cool, huh? Even more cool - or just funky, perhaps - is that the artist did this dependency-on-reflection deal on purpose.

Golly I just love a company that makes you think! Or at least tilt your head back, pause, and marvel "huh!"

DRIVERS WANTED!

No comments: