Monday, May 10, 2010

Competitive Running

Two weekends ago, I ran in my first race! I ran in a crowd of people for the first time. And you know what? I am now hooked.

One snippet of the 10,000 runners that turned out for the Columbus Capital City 5K/Half Marathon. (Yes, it rained on us -- but it felt good!)

I've always loved running, I've always loved the health benefits from it...and now, I enjoy the camaraderie from running as part of a crowd. I enjoy inhaling the clean open air. I enjoy pushing myself out of bed on Saturday mornings to go race. Likewise, I enjoy getting a race finished before the morning dew has even fully lifted from the grass blades. It's just a real cool way to get your day jumpstarted.

I enjoy the strategy of it all: zipping around people, passing them, cutting behind or alongside rows of runners. It's like drafting and driving erratically in traffic - although this way, you can't get pulled over for it. Muahaha!

I ran my first race with my coworker friend, Alicia. I raced as part of our Team Honda (where several of my other coworkers and supervisors also showed, to race as part of our team). I think it was pretty neat to hang with them outside of work for once.

Before.

After! (Sorry about the closed eyes, Alicia!)

Since that race, I have signed up for two more this summer: another 5K (this weekend), and the Columbus 10K at the end of the first week in June.

My personal goal is 3 miles in under 30 minutes....and 6 miles in under 60 minutes. You will always be surprised at how strong your body can truly be. This weekend, I am going to see what I can do (what time I can achieve) when I am left to bolt all on my own.

What's next?
More races! I wish to do one race each month, this running season.

We'll see.... :-)

A Nesquik mascot crossing the finish line - yes, this guy ran the whole 5K race wearing that ridiculous helmet. He started right in front of me.

Yours for online purchase for only $23.95!!!! Buy now!!! Savor this commemorative moment!! (Or so the sales email that was pitched to me, stated.) I'll just make a cheesy copy/paste of it instead. The copyright stamp doesn't bother me too much. :-)

No comments: