Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thinking of Mississippi

Being back in the car world makes me think EVERYTHING cars - Honda, Volkswagen, Nissan - you know, the car companies I have had a personal history with.

More specifically, being back in the car world makes me re-live my previous swim in all of it.......that swim being at Nissan. I am surprised by how I miss it SO MUCH. I miss the people the most. Bryan, Dan, Jessica, Dilmore, Momma, James, Erik, Keisha....just to name a few. (I swear if I randomly ran into Bryan I would just break down and cry, RIGHT THERE, on the spot, because of being so happy to see him again.) These folks weren't just coworkers over the summer - they took me in as part of their family and under their wing. We had movie nights together, we went to church together, I'd go to their Sunday lunches and family gatherings. It was great; the things I got myself into while living there were so random, but wonderful!

I also miss the plant (it's layout, it's nice new machinery and facilities), the Mississippi weather, and the way of the south. I am such a sucker for southern livin' - the hospitality, the cooking, the way everyone would call me 'honey' whenever I'd bump into them at the grocery store, etc. :)


[I'd like to think I have lived my life by the motto of never, ever forgetting where I came from and what helped get me my start. Pictured above are (first) my Mississippi apartment that is right up there with my current OH apartment, and (second) the sprawling Canton, MS, plant that got me my foot in the door to the automotive industry. I'll never forget the chance Nissan gave me - I'm quite thankful!]

So, with all of this strings-attached emotional prompt, you can imagine how much my hair stood on end yesterday to read the news that Nissan is planning to lay off a whopping 20,000 jobs globally by 2010.

I sent personal emails to a few of my Nissan buddies that I still keep in contact with, sending them my concerns and watchful eye. They may be my competitors now, but it's all healthy competition. I really, honestly want the best for them and their ability to have money to put food on their table at the end of the night, every night.

Well, I got good news just now, when I made my daily trip out to read the Detroit Free Press's online Automotive News section. I found this headline:

"Nissan done cutting U.S. jobs for now"

Wow! Thank goodness.

Try the Detroit Free Press yourself and read the full story here.

No comments: