How 'fairweather fan' of me, I know. So, keep that in mind when I say,
Fall is my favorite time of year!!
Ahh, a girl just can't make up her mind sometimes.
Last weekend Zach and I had a full day of doing fall-ish activities with our friends here in central Ohio, Allison and James. (They are actually getting married next weekend in their hometown in Kentucky, and we have been invited to attend! Road trip!)
We went apple picking and then went trumping through a corn maze that a local farmer coordinates every year. I mean, he REALLY coordinates it -- he cuts the maze into a different design every year apparently using satellites and navigation systems, making it an entertaining picture for any airplanes flying overhead.
2010's maze design from the sky: the heads of two OSU coaches facing off. This is allegedly 9 acres of land here.
Surprising as it may be, I have never been apple picking before, so I definitely spoke up and mentioned I wanted to go now that it was in-season to do so. We found a farmer here in Marysville that advertised over 10 different varities of apples -- and you could either visit his little gift/market shop attached to the front of his barn and buy pre-picked apples, or you could pick as many apples as you could fit into a bushel-sized bag, for $10. Pretty good value in that deal.
We opted for the apple picking ourselves, and had a lot of fun crawling through trees and picking our own best finds.
Walking through the apple orchard.
Mmmm, apples!
Caught with a mouthful of apple! Braeburns are my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE type of apple. Granny Smiths are my second favorite. Also, I am one of those believers that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." You can find one sliced up in a little sandwich bag in my packed lunch at work, daily. Yum. :-)
The boys and our loot at the end of our picking-fest. (Zach and James)
Zach and our take-home bag. I think we have a lot of apples to eat!
As for the corn maze ---- it ended up being a part of a whole festival grounds, with the maze being the head attraction. Warning: this was quite the country folk hang-out. For a 'combo' ticket, you could have access to the corn maze, unlimited cow train, a barnyard bouncer, a petting zoo; play with a giant inflatable corn ball, take a ride down a tube slide, a PVC roller slide; play laser tag, dodgeball, ride pedal carts; go through the "kids fun barn," do duck races, go through a rope maze, colored board maze; and try to climb a greased pole. You also got to go on a hay ride, take 5 shots at a corn canoon, and take home a free small pumpkin (called a 'pie pumpkin'). Yeah.
We purchased the combo tickets, purely because the boys wanted to take the 5 shots at the corn cannon. I admit it sounded cool too. We did skip all the kiddie activities, though.
In the maze with Allison and James -- at a checkpoint!
Going through a corn maze. Apparently they turn it into a haunted maze at night. I could totally see that becoming something truly freaky.
Zach enjoying the strategy in going through the maze. What a goof!
Taking my shots at the corn cannon! You shoot ears of corn out of the end of a tube towards target. Kinda fun. :-)
Zach and James doing a duck race against each other. Using an old-fashioned pump, you squirt water down a trough to get a rubber ducky to slide down the trough. First ducky to make it to the other end, wins.
What a fun time. It's days like this that make me feel happy about living life to the fullest and truly getting out there to enjoy yourself. Stop to smell the roses, taste-test that little snack, try a new type of an old favorite, buy a card and send it in the mail to someone for the heck of it, etc.
And of course, get out there to enjoy traditional activities and savor the seasons.
Otherwise, they'll have faded and transitioned on to the next season before you know it. (Winter, this means you're next!)

No comments:
Post a Comment