Saturday, October 10, 2009

October

Geez, since the last time I posted on here, Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize?!

If it's that easy, then why don't I just overthrow Al Gore and claim *I* invented the internet?!?!?!!!!

Okay, okay. Moving on: I have a few posts I'd like to get up here. But the one that is the most pressing on my mind, is my family.

About three days ago, my grandpa had emergency triple heart bypass surgery. It all started when he got himself into his truck, drove himself to County Rescue, put the truck in park, and called my dad. Dad was working right there inside the building, and Grandpa wanted to tell him that he didn't feel well and something was wrong.




It takes a lot for Grandpa to admit that he doesn't feel well.

Fastforward a few hours and a few tests, resulting in scary findings - and he went into surgery to repair his heart in 5 places. He is recovering well, and as of yesterday the doctors took out his breathing tubes and tried to give him some real food and get him to sit up. He is alert and joking around - his usual self. Dad, Mom, and all of the aunts and uncles were there to sit by his bedside and stay with Grandma. Dad was the translator for whatever the doctor explained in all of his high-level medical speak, as usual.

I want to fly home to visit him, but the airline tickets are just too expensive, and his immune system will be weak for about 6 weeks, so outside visitors carrying germs are not recommended. :-( That is one bad part about being so far away from family - you cannot just run to them whenever something goes wrong. This is the first time something real has happened, for me to have to realize this, and I am really struggling with it.

Fortunately, 6 weeks from now puts us right around Thanksgiving...so let these be some happy holidays.

No comments: