Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Antsy Pants!

I'm restless. And I know exactly WHY. Grrrr.

It all started with Saturday, June 13th. I watched my middle school friend, Sarah Fahs, get married to her high school sweetheart.

On that same day, Zach's sister Brittany graduated from high school. I wish I could have cloned myself to send one of the two of me, to watch her shine.

After returning to Ohio after all of that, and thus, also returning to internet access land, I find out through Facebook (ohh, Facebook.....love you or hate you??) that my OTHER longtime friend, Lisa Judkins, got engaged!

Then, one of my best college friends, Heidi (who will go down in the record books as BEST ROOMMATE EVER!), left me an urgent voicemail to call her back. I made an oath to call her once I got done with work today.

However, in the meantime, my OTHER best friend Scott called me to tell me he landed himself a hot full time job in Marshfield, and he is moving there ASAP. He starts July 6th. YAY!

Plus, I get to work today and find out my closest work buddy, Alicia, went into labor and had her baby girl last night!! Her first baby - she's a momma now.

Today after work, I got around to calling Heidi. (Reader, are you keeping up with all of these people I'm throwing at you?? I apologize!) SHE told me about her dream-come-true three-week traipse through Europe, ending with a surprise visit from her boyfriend, who proposed marriage to her on the Spanish steps in Rome.

JESUS!!! Engagements, marriage, babies, mad-money jobs.......am I really in that age bracket now?!?!?!?!

*Reaches for window, cracks it open to get some fresh air*


Where have the innocent days gone of just playing LEGOS with my brother on the living room floor???? Or rollerblading in the driveway, enjoying my SUMMER VACATION??

Don't get me wrong, this is all VERY good news. I'm thrilled for each of these people and the unique relationship I have with every one of them. I guess I'm just struggling with how to express to them all, how much they mean to me and help me. Even if it's all in my own little head, out here alone in Ohio.

I people-watch. I monitor what my peers/friends are doing with their lives, and from that, I get the drive to push myself to keep up with them. So, to see ALL of these folks enter into exciting times in their lives right now, gives me the itch. The need for speed. Whatever metaphor you want to use, to channel this adrenaline.

But maybe it's all come down to me living vicariously through them.

You know, sitting on the phone listening to each of them explain what they're getting themselves into, causes me to space off and relive what *I* went through, just a fresh 6 months ago. Starting a new relationship (which has turned out to really move the earth beneath my feet!), graduating with honors, going on a cruise to exotic countries, receiving recognition, packing up, moving to a new state, unpacking at a new apartment with all new housewarming stuff, and starting a job for a high-profile company......it really is a rush, a VERY dynamic time in One's life.

And I share a lot of that with myself. The emotions, the coping skills, the bravery, the triumph, the humor, the little things that I've seen or bumped into on a Monday through Friday of being out here alone - all of those things, I've stored in an archive for Me, Myself, and I. It really is empowering to do this - you really get to know yourself, do things FOR yourself, and make friends with yourself.

As hippie-ish as this all sounds, TRUST me!! It is real, it is something I think every person should at least try once - getting on out and doing something just for you, just with yourself. I know I am so glad I have.

Anyway, to hear these people going through this 6 months later, I automatically feel excited for them because immediately all of these thoughts flood my mind of what I know they're about to face and experience. And it's all so wonderful. :-)

Maybe I feel restless because I want to be going through it with them? Maybe it's because I want to have as crazy of a story as they do?? Or maybe it's because I hope that now, they'll see how I can relate to them, and want to keep in closer touch with me? (Is that too selfish to type??) The feeling would be more mutual that way - you know, with how badly I want to keep in touch with them, perhaps they would feel in return.

I mean, I wish I had time to talk on the phone every day with each of these people, but I don't because I never know how high up on the priority list I am. Each and every person has their own daily schedule, their own battles. I know there are not enough hours in a day. And I was taught to wait my turn.

So, the endless game of binge-phone calling ensues. Don't talk for like 6 weeks, then get on the phone and gut-out all of the big news in your life, without trying to sound braggish or overboard. :-)

And yet here I sit..........all moved in, all far-away trips done with. Nothing more going for myself other than just......working. (For a supervisor, by the way, that is probably going to be the most challenging supervisor I've ever had, ever.) I wonder what is next in my life? Staying here? Staying here and bringing someone down here to accompany me (*wink wink*), or moving on to somewhere else? And at that, how SOON is this next phase in my life coming??

Harrumph.....I have ants in my pants!! Doing a funny dance because I can't manage to stay sitting still. :-P

In the meantime, I holler out one hearty CONGRATULATIONS to all of these people in my life, that are having their own lives explode with new paths.

I hope you all take full advantage of the excitement you just dropped yourselves into!! :-) :-)

No comments: