Billowing with smoke and fury, this little spitfire always has something to say about life and how it'll continually test you to rise above the flames. Stop....drop....and read!
Thursday, June 21, 2012
A Girl on Her Own, Part 2
LOOK!! I did it!!! I created and built my own in-closet shelving!
I have a smaller bedroom, which does not leave space for a dresser or armoire to store clothing within the same four walls as my bed. Originally, to combat this, when Zach and I were together, we had a bed that had built-in under bed drawers. When we separated and he took the bed, I had nothing for myself. Hell, I was sleeping on a twin-sized mattress on the floor with scrap blankets for 2 1/2 months before I finally fessed up and went to go buy my very own chic bed. Life is good now, and I (triumphantly) love my very own bed! However, it's a different style bed, with no under-bed storage. Again, I was stuck in a predicament for storing some of my clothing.
I had pulled out every single suitcase I owned, opened them up, lined them up against one of my walls, and had dumped as much clothing into each suitcase that I could. And that was my storage system. Gross. I was living out of a suitcase, yet in my own home.
Perk: I have a leftover bedroom closet now, which I knew had potential to hold my clothing. So, all by myself, I took some dimensions, scratched out a drawing on paper, mapped out what system I was looking for and where I needed to store what; and took two trips to Lowe's to pick out the supplies for making my own modular shelving system.
It was great! I picked out all the posts I needed, the hanging shelving brackets, and learned how to use some pretty funky folded-up looking drywall plugs and pegs. Add your essential hammer, screwdriver, and screws, and you're good to go. I hung it all up on a Sunday evening with movies playing on my TV in the background!
I only hung the first post backwards (and didn't notice until it was all the way up and screwed in, so I had to go back and redo it all), and sure, I kept dropping things and clanking and clattering my way through the process. And I only hammered my thumb twice before I learned to stop doing that!
But here I am, and so proud. I am all moved into my new storage system. One side of my hanging system is for my capris, all of my pajamas, and all of my scrubs. The other side is for my jeans, socks, and my 'unmentionables'!
The suitcases are all zipped up and back in their own storage now too. My chic bedroom is pretty much done!! Finally! I feel like I have hit a new step.
P.S.: I know I previously posted about The Pottery Barn Desk, among other girl-on-her-own things. Those all turned out great and I have been up and using them since their completion!
I think I finally have my Girly Apartment in a complete phase. This is something I have secretly always wanted to have, just a really nice place all to myself to enjoy in this phase of my life.
Here I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment