Monday, July 05, 2010

More Competitive Running!

We're about halfway through the summer, and I have continued to run in races.

This is my first season competing, and I am hooked! I love the atmosphere and I am thrilled with the improvements I've noticed with my body, regardless of when my fellow friends out-run me, or how many very, VERY strong runners I have been up against.  Everything goes in circles, and this is a reminder that there is always room for strengthening and improving your running skills.  Overall, it's a pretty healthy habit to get into.

Since my last post about running competitively, I've run in my first 10K, and I ran in my third 5K. Keep 'em coming!
 Columbus Distance 10K - downtown Columbus!

 Folks lining up at the starting line.

Happily sipping water and standing still, after finishing my FIRST 10K - a whopping SEVEN MINUTES earlier than my goal time!!!  

Don't get me wrong, miles 4 and 5 in this race made me feel like I was running up to the gates of Hell.  Pure, total Hell.  My guts were hurting, my legs were getting tired, the temperature was rising, and the sun was blazing into my eyes while sweat was running down my forehead.  I wanted to stop and walk for a little bit, so badly.  But, I did NOT.  I had some serious talks with myself to keep going, keep pushing.  I was so mentally into it, that I honestly could not remember what song was playing in my earbuds as I crossed the finish line.  I am so proud: I ran the whole thing!

I even got an extra jump in my step when I rounded the last bend into the finish line, to see the clock time only ticking to the 53:00 mark.  I was expecting it to read 58:00 or 59:00.  I finished in 53:07 - seven minutes ahead of my goal time.  Allelujah!!



I set a new personal record in the latest 5K I ran.  (Yessss!)  It was a women's-only run, which was actually a pretty cool experience.  My personal record is that I ran the fastest so far, this season!  At a 7:59 min/mile pace, I completed the 5K in 24:47.  I have not run at that pace since HIGH SCHOOL.  

Getting lined up to start the race - hands on our pace wrist watches to hit the 'START' buttons!

Action shot - coming up the last 0.10 mile stretch to the finish.

Thank you to Zach for coming out to yet another race, and cheering me on.  If it weren't for you, I would not have these photos.  Here, he captures my finishing time.  A new record!

Zach holding my medal.  I finished 5th overall (!), and 1st place in my age group!!

What's next?  Right now it's a 10K race in downtown Columbus on Sunday, August 15th.  I want to better my time of 53:07 that I mentioned here!

No comments: