When did my generation forget how to say this?? It's just something I've been recently observing.
I made Joe some of his (favorite) Jell-O jigglers to celebrate our 8-month anniversary three days ago, and he said nothing.
I put clever thought and streamlined coordination into buying tickets for Joe, his roommate, and me to see comedian Frank Caliendo at the Riverside Theater, as a Christmas gift to his roommate. Of course, the roommate gave nothing in return (which is A-okay with me, that's not what gift-giving is about). What really hit the sensitivity bone is that he opened up the box the tickets were wrapped in, sniffed at them, and then handed them back to Joe and I. No 'thank you,' or 'cheers to being great roommates,' no nothing. I don't think I've been that miffed in a LONG time. (And no, his roommate has no sheer fiber of logic in his head to find this blog site. He has no idea it exists, and I have no links to it anywhere.)
And today, I gave a healthy stipend of cash (gas money) to a friend that gave me a ride so I could get home, from Milwaukee to Green Bay. Really, the friend had to make the same trip for themselves, so was my gas money really a necessary symbol in this scenario as a gesture of 'thanks for driving out of your way for my behalf'? Really, they didn't have to drive out of their way. It was their way. I didn't even make them drop me off at my house in Green Bay. I let them drop me off at a public place of their convenience, where I had my parents fetch me. Alas, the thank-you for the gas money finally came as I was exiting the car and slamming the car door shut.
Booo. :(
I realize we are all up-and-coming college graduates, with major successes coming to us. (Heck yes, we have each earned them!)
Just promise me that no matter where your success takes you, that you don't forget where you came from. Show your gratitude and respect. It can easily be done.
A great headstart would be to say 'thank you' when appropriate. :)
Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment